Sunday, February 21, 2010

Scott Porter's 'Glee' Regret: 'I Should Have Gone For It'



Scott Porter scored in primetime on Friday Night Lights and also has a juicy role on Syfy's Caprica. On the big screen, the 30-year-old recently helped Dear John end Avatar's run as the number one film at the box office.

Now he's teaming up with Alexis Bledel in The Good Guy. Porter also learned about the stock market playing a junior Gordon Gekko.

Watching Wall Street tumble.
"We didn't want to paint a negative picture of everybody on Wall Street, but egomaniacs do exist and my character is definitely one of them. The world's been paved with gold for them for a while and now it has all come crashing down. Bear Stearns collapsed while we were filming. I was actually on a real Wall Street floor when it happened. The mood was very somber. These traders were so used to kind of being proactive, going out and getting things done, and they suddenly became very reactive. It was trippy. Oliver Stone's original Wall Street doesn't apply in this economy. You can't watch the old Gordo Gekko because he doesn't exist right now."


Taking down the biggest grossing movie of the year.
"I mean, they've all gotta fall at some point and I'm happy to be part of the film that did it to Avatar at the weekend box office. It was just a very cool experience to be the bad guy in Dear John and I tell everybody that I out-badded Giovanni Ribisi in Avatar. Actually, I went to middle school with Jamie Linden, who wrote the script for Dear John, so to see it do well for one of my good, good friends was awesome."

He could have stayed in high school.
"Oh man, I really want to kick myself in the face for Glee because I kind of did the stupid actor thing where you go, 'Okay, I'm at a certain point in my life now where I only want to play this guy or that guy.' When Glee was casting, I thought, 'I'm too old to be a student. I need to stop playing high-school kids.' Then it came out and Ryan Murphy was like, 'We've got a bunch of adults playing kids, but we don't care, that's our show.' Cory Monteith is X amount of years old and he's playing a high schooler. So I was like, 'Dang it, I should have gone for it.'"


Ain't too proud to beg for another chance.
"Now I'm, like, at the back door knocking, 'Can I please come in and play on the Glee set because I beat box, I sing, I dance.' If music's gonna be involved, that's my thing. I got my start in the Off-Broadway cast of Altar Boyz, so I'm like pitching ideas daily to Glee. I think it's such a unique show. God, I love it. So there you have my regrets. I've laid them out on the table."

Turning out the Friday Night Lights.
"It kind of felt like Lost knowing that it was going to be over. Lost was kind of this aimless ship that was wandering in the open seas. When they decided to do the final season it finally got a compass and now it's driving toward a big finish. When you know that the finish line is coming up, as opposed to this nebulous kind of, 'Are we gonna get cancelled?' You can actually give the fans of the show true closure. I think that's the best thing for Friday Night Lights. Give everybody a great goodbye."


Wait a minute...this jock's a geek!
"I've played a range of characters, but nothing so out there as Nestor, the computer nerd-terrorist in Caprica. How I got that part was pure serendipity. I was a presenter at the Saturn Awards last year and I saw the Battlestar people and said, 'I'm a huge fan of the show.' And they said they were huge fans of Friday Night Lights. Two weeks later I got a call and they offered me the role in Caprica and I didn't even audition. It's a pretty great role and you're gonna see Nester pop up a lot. And it was awesome to work with Polly Walker. She's phenomenal."


SOURCE

No comments:

Post a Comment